> Do's and Don'ts
The Do's and Don'ts of Braces
Eating proper foods and minimizing sugar intake are essential during orthodontic treatment. Your braces are precise appliances that can be damaged by eating or chewing hard or sticky foods. Eating certain foods will loosen braces, but you may not discover the problem until hours or days later. Loose bands, detached brackets and bent wires can increase treatment time and may result in additional treatment fees.
- Avoid soda pop and drinks that contain sugar.
- If you do eat any foods or drinks that contain high amounts of sugar, please brush your teeth immediately. If you aren't close to a toothbrush, rinse your mouth with water.
- Cut corn off the cob.
- Whole fruits and vegetables should be cooked or cut into small pieces and eaten carefully.
- Any meat cooked on the bone, can be pulled off and eaten.
- Pizza crust and bagels can be eaten if they are broken into small pieces and chewed carefully.
The No-No List
- Hard Rolls
- Hard Candy
- Beef Jerky
- Pens or Pencils
- Raw Carrot
- Raw Apples
- Bubble Gum
- Sticky Candy
- Soda Pop
- Pizza Crust
Just remember; always use common sense when choosing foods to put in your mouth. If it's hard, sticky, or feels like it may aggravate your orthodontic work, the best bet is to simply avoid it and eat something else!